These homemade chocolate bars make for a healthier treat alternative!Jump to Recipe
Have you ever wanted to make your own homemade chocolate bars but didn't know where to start? I've put together a super simple recipe so you can make them with few ingredients. They will definitely be enjoyed by the whole family!
What ingredients will I need?
- melted chocolate
- coconut oil
- almond butter or any other nut butter
- a banana
- sugar substitute if you're nut butter is unsweetened
- a handful of crushed almonds to top off your bars before placing in the freezer for the second time
- sprinkle of flaky sea salt for finishing
How long do homemade chocolate bars last?
They can last and stay fresh for quite awhile if stored in the refrigerator or freezer. I've kept mine in a ziploc bag in the freezer for over a month and they still taste great. There were also no traces of freezer burn either which is always a win! I let them thaw out at room temperature for a few minutes before enjoying.
What kind of chocolate should I use for melting?
You can use your favorite chocolate bars are for this recipe. I opted for a dairy free chocolate to keep things vegan. If you use baker's chocolate, I recommend adding a sugar substitute to it after melting it. Baker's chocolate typically comes unsweetened unless you're using the semi-sweet one.
Can I still make this recipe without a silicone candy bar mold?
Yes, you can still make them. I recommend using an 8x8" square baking dish as your alternative. For this option, you'll want to line your baking dish with parchment paper before pouring in your melted chocolate, almond butter, banana slices and second layer of chocolate. After removing baking dish from the freezer for the second and last time, let it sit out for a few minutes before cutting into bars. The reason for this is to keep the bars from cracking when cutting. If they're too cold and hard, this will most likely happen.
Looking for other healthier treat options? Try How to Make Healthy Peanut Butter Cups Sweetened with Dates and Easy Raw Bliss Balls Recipe. No Baking Required!
Healthy Homemade Chocolate BarsAuthor:
- 12 oz chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 banana
- ½ cup almond butter or favorite nut butter
- 4 packets sugar substitute
- handful of crushed almonds
- sprinkle of flaky sea salt
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chopped chocolate with coconut oil. Stirring every 20-30 seconds so that it doesn't burn. In a small bowl, combine almond butter with sugar substitute.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate into silicone molds. Pop in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Add layer of almond butter (about 1-2 teaspoon worth). Add slices of banana over almond butter. Cover banana layer with another tablespoon of melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle crushed almonds over top layer of melted chocolate. Pop back in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle a bit of flaky salt and gently remove from silicone molds.