This eggless macaroons recipe is all you need to make a dozen of the best ube flavored macaroons!
Macaroons are traditionally made with condensed milk and egg whites. They are also baked for a period of time, giving them that nice, toasty color and taste. I wanted to put my own twist on them. I decided to "veganize" them and make them as a no bake option. These eggless macaroons have easily become one of my new favorite, no bake treats. Read on to see how I was still able to achieve that toasty coconut flavor!
How to shape your macaroons
I know that generally, they tend to look like little haystacks but I wanted these to look a bit more uniform in shape. To do that, I used a cookie scoop. Then, you'll want to shape them into balls with your hands. For this part, I highly recommend using gloves. Not only because your hands will become extremely sticky from the condensed coconut milk, but will also be stained purple from the ube extract!
Why add ube and white chocolate into the mix?
Ube flavor itself just pairs well with coconut. In this case, toasted coconut. I decided to shake things up a bit and have the bottoms of these eggless macaroons dipped in white chocolate as opposed to traditional cocoa rich chocolate.
How do I get that toasted coconut flavor if this is a no bake recipe?
This will be achieved by toasting your shredded coconut in a pan on the oven. Keep setting on medium to low heat. I opted to use unsweetened coconut. There is no need to add any kind of oil to the pan when doing this. Just be sure to keep moving the coconut around with a spatula. I did this for about 2 minutes. It's a matter of personal preference on how toasty and golden you'd like it to be.
How should I store these?
I recommend storing these at room temperature in an airtight container. You can store them in the refrigerator if desired, but I'd be concerned that they may start drying out.
Looking to try other no bake recipes? Check out Easy Raw Bliss Balls Recipe. No Baking Required! and How to Make Healthy Peanut Butter Cups Sweetened with Dates
Did you try this recipe?
Please leave a comment and rating. I would love to hear about it!
Link to ube extract
The Best Eggless Macaroons
- 6 oz shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon ube extract
- 7.4 oz sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 4 oz vegan white chocolate can use regular chips if preferred
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Line a baking sheet withh wax paper. Set aside.
- Toast shredded coconut in a pan on medium to low heat. Do this for about 2 minutes or until desired level of toast-iness is achieved.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine can of coconut condensed milk with ube extract. Stir in toasted coconut. Use a cookie scoop to scoop out 12 coconut balls onto your baking sheet. Start forming scoops into balls with your hands (I highly recommend wearing gloves for this).
- Pop your baking sheet into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Dip the bottoms of your ube balls into melted white chocolate and pop back into the refrigerator for another 10 minutes. Enjoy!
White chocolate dip
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate with coconut oil. Do this is 20 second increments, stirring occasionally.
Leave a Reply