Looking for a healthy, no-bake treat? This vegan, raw bliss balls recipe is for you!Jump to Recipe
I wanted to challenge myself to try making a healthier snack option with easy and simple ingredients that I usually keep stocked in my kitchen pantry. I love using dates as a natural sweetener, so I knew I'd be using them in this raw bliss balls recipe. The dates paired with the slightly sweetened, shredded coconut was the perfect amount of sweetness. Also, depending on what kind of chocolate you use, you will get some added sugar from that as well. These treats are also gluten free! The hubby likes to snack on dates as well so we always keep pitted medjool dates on hand.
Is there a difference between these, energy balls and energy bites?
My answer is that it really just comes down to what you decide to put into these. Are you adding in things like nut butters that have healthy fats? Are you adding in any dried fruits as a source of natural sugars and carbs? I have friends who like to add protein and collagen into their's. Based on that, I'd say that those 3 options are the same. That's the great thing about this recipe and others like it. The versatility! Some people refer to these as truffles. When I think of truffles, I think of a rich, chocolatey dessert.
Almond Butter: I opted to use almond butter as my bonding agent but you can swap it for any nut butter you have on hand.
Storage: I stored these in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. I believe these would do well in there for at least a week. They didn't last that long in my house to find out!
Quantity: This is a small batch recipe which can easily be doubled if desired. Expect to yield 1 bliss ball per date used.
Looking for other tasty vegan treats? Check out How to Make Healthy Peanut Butter Cups Sweetened with Dates which is also a no-bake recipe.
Vegan Raw Bliss Balls
- food processor
- 5 dates, pitted I used medjool dates
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp almond butter you can use any nut butter
- 1 oz vegan chocolate
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- crushed pistachios to top off
- Line a plate or dish with wax paper. Set aside.
- Place dates, almond butter, and shredded coconut in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds. Do this until desired texture is achieved. Form mixture into 5 balls.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt together chocolate and coconut oil. Place ball into melted chocolate, one at a time. Once ball is completely covered, remove from bowl with a fork and place onto wax paper.
- Once all 5 bliss balls are on the wax paper, sprinkle with crushed pistachios. Optional to add flaky salt as well. Place and chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.