This creamy Tuscan pasta comes together easily and is packed with flavor that is sure to be enjoyed by the whole family!
This dish would a make a great meal prep option for weeknight dinners since it yields 12 servings. This would also be great to serve when having guests over.
I know I mainly share sweets and desserts on here but we are BIG pasta fans in my house. When I whipped this up over the weekend, I couldn't resist sharing this delicious creamy Tuscan pasta recipe with you!
There is an unsuspecting ingredient in this recipe...sardines. Don't let that deter you from making this. I know sardines can be a love/hate thing for a lot of people. The amount that is present is not overwhelming and adds just enough of that umami flavor! If sardines still isn't your thing, I've included some substitutions down below that you can try.
Below, you will find the ingredients needed for this tasty dish!
- Sour cream
- Heavy cream
- Pasta of choice (I used rigatoni)
- Garlic cloves
- Grated parmesan
- Italian seasoning
- Red chili flakes
- Sun-dried tomatoes
See recipe card for quantities.
Below are a few substitutions you may want to consider to make this recipe to your liking.
- Sardines - instead of sardines, you can use chicken. I recommend purchasing a rotisserie chicken, shredding it, then adding it into your sauce when you throw in the pasta. Spicy Italian sausage, shrimp or anchovies would be other great protein options as well.
- Oil - if you decide to skip the sardines, use olive oil in place of that. About 2 tablespoon's worth.
- Vegetarian - you can always swap out meat for a plant-based protein or simply add in more of your favorite vegetables to bulk up this recipe.
- Red pepper flakes - omit these from the recipe if you know you're going to be serving this dish to those (or kiddos) who may be intolerant to spicy foods. This ingredient can easily be added to individual bowls and adjusted according to taste and tolerance.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If skipping sardines: use a combination of olive oil (2 tbsp) and some of the oil from your jar of sun-dried tomatoes to sauté the minced garlic and spinach. If you substitute a can of sardines for a can of anchovies, use the oil from the can of anchovies along with the sun-dried tomato oil.
-an arugula salad
-a glass of white wine
Be sure to check out our latest recipe added to the blog last week, Non-alcoholic Moscow Mules. It's a great mocktail recipe to ring in the new year with or to enjoy during Dry January.
Creamy Tuscan Pasta
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 16 oz pasta I recommend penne or rigatoni
- 16 oz fresh spinach
- 1 can sardines
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes can use whole or cut into strips
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Strain and set pasta aside. Set large pan to medium heat. Empty can of sardines in large pan including the olive oil. Sauté and break up pieces for a few minutes.
- Add in some oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes then throw in the minced garlic. Sauté. Add in sun-dried tomatoes along with more of its oil and the spinach. Cook spinach until wilted.
- Next, you’ll want to add in the heavy cream and sour cream. Stir in salt, pepper to taste and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes. Set pan to low heat and let sauce simmer and thicken for a few minutes. Add in Parmesan followed by the pasta. Serve and enjoy!