Bread pudding is just one of those desserts that never gets old. This double chocolate chip bread pudding will be your new favorite twist on this classic recipe!Jump to Recipe
Yes, I said double chocolate! Technically, it could be triple chocolate if you make the optional chocolate glaze (which you totally should). I know, I’ve mentioned this before but whenever I go out to eat, I always scan the restaurant’s dessert menu in hopes of seeing bread pudding on there. I ALWAYS order if it’s on there. Last fall, I created The Best Apple and Bourbon Bread Pudding Without Eggs recipe and knew that I had to make another variation of this scrumptious classic! Aside from loving this dessert, I also love chocolate. I decided that I’d set off to make the best chocolate chip bread pudding. Side note: I highly recommend serving warm with a big scoop of ice cream!
Does it matter what bread I use?
No! I typically use French bread whenever I’m making my chocolate chip bread pudding or any bread pudding recipe for that matter. One year, when I was in a pinch, I used sandwich bread that was about to expire. It was just as delicious as any other time I’ve made this dessert. What matters is that you use stale bread. I like to buy my loaf of bread at least a day or two before I plan on using it.
What do I do if I don’t have any stale bread?
If you find yourself not being able to purchase your bread til the day you plan on making this, you can cut your loaf into 1″-2″ cubes, place them on a baking sheet and bake at 325°F for a few minutes. I suggest starting at 5 minutes, check on it and then add a few minutes at a time. Loaf cubes will be ready before they start turning golden. Once you remove them from the oven, let them cool while you prepare your egg mixture. Resume making the recipe as usual.
Link to 13×9 baking dish.
Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
- 1 loaf day old French bread cut into 1"-2" cubes
- 2 cups of milk can use plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Optional Chocolate Glaze
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine milk, vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon, and cocoa powder. Whisk in your 4 eggs.
- In that same bowl, add the cubed pieces of French bread and press into the milk mixture with your hands making sure that all the bread is covered in milk. Let the bread soak for about a minute before transferring to a greased 13×9” baking dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips over bread pudding before placing in the oven. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- If you want to add even more chocolate, you can melt together 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 1 tsp coconut oil and drizzle over bread pudding once removed from the oven.