These healthier almond flour brownies are fudgy, gluten free and have been topped off with a delicious strawberry cream cheese frosting!Jump to Recipe
If you're looking for a healthy twist on the classic brownie, almond flour brownies are a game-changer! Not only are they gluten-free, but they're also incredibly fudgy and chocolatey. Almond flour is the perfect substitute for all-purpose flour, giving the brownies a moist, chewy texture and a rich, nutty flavor. These brownies are ideal for anyone with a sweet tooth who still wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle. They're easy to make and perfect for any occasion, from a midnight snack to a fancy dessert. Grab your apron and get ready to indulge in the almost guilt-free pleasure of this sweet treat!
What are the benefits of baking with almond flour?
Baking with almond flour has become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason. Here are some of the benefits of using almond flour in your baking:
- Gluten-free: Almond flour is naturally gluten-free, making it an excellent choice for people who have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance.
- Low-carb: Almond flour is lower in carbohydrates than traditional all-purpose flour, which makes it a great option for those following a low-carb diet.
- High in protein and healthy fats: Almond flour is a great source of protein and healthy fats, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Nutrient-dense: Almond flour is high in nutrients such as vitamin E, magnesium, and fiber, making it a healthier alternative to all-purpose flour.
- Versatile: Almond flour can be used in a variety of baked goods, including cakes, cookies, and bread, and can also be used as a gluten-free coating for chicken or fish.
- Delicious flavor and texture: Almond flour has a rich, nutty flavor and a moist, chewy texture that can add a depth of flavor to baked goods.
Overall, baking with almond flour is a great way to add a healthy spin on your favorite recipes without sacrificing taste or texture. It's a versatile, nutrient-dense ingredient that can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of dietary restrictions. Those with nut allergies should avoid using this ingredient.
Is almond flour healthier than regular flour?
Almond flour is notably lower in carbs than regular all-purpose flour and makes for a wonderful, gluten free alternative. It also has a higher protein content as well as being rich in vitamin E and antioxidants.
With the added strawberry frosting, I'd say that these chocolate delights are the brownie version of chocolate dipped strawberries. Am I right? These would be so perfect for a Valentine's Day party. Side note: these brownies are super delicious and can stand on their own without the frosting (yes, they're that good). I just thought it would be fun to add in this pop of color for the upcoming holiday.
Want to achieve that vibrant pink color for your frosting? Add in a minimal amount of pink gel icing to the frosting and mix well in your stand mixer. I found mine at a local Wal-mart store.
When baking these, keep in mind that a toothpick inserted at the 20 minute mark will not come out clean. That's ok! The last thing you want to do is dry these babies out. They will continue to bake for a bit after removing from the oven. Not baking them past 20 minutes will ensure that you get perfectly fudgy brownies! I suggest letting them rest on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before digging in.
These small batch almond flour brownies are perfect for:
A small family or gathering. I listed the serving size as 9 but you can honestly get away with cutting them into 16 servings. This recipe calls for using an 8"x8" baking dish.
If you're looking to make these brownies dairy free (which can easily be done), swap out regular cream cheese for a dairy free alternative. Below are a few brands you may want to look into:
Also, swap out your semisweet chocolate chips for dairy free ones. Endangered Species brand makes really great (and delicious) oat milk chocolate chips.
I recommend storing these in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Only store in the refrigerator if you add the cream cheese frosting. If you skip it, these can be stored in a container at room temperature. They will keep fresh for 5-6 days.
If you love this recipe, I'm sure you'll love The Best PB and Avocado Gluten Free Brownies which are made with coconut flour! Below is a link to the almond flour that I used for this recipe.
Let me know in the comments if you give this recipe a try! This recipe was updated on May 25, 2022.
The Best Almond Flour BrowniesAuthor:
- stand mixer
- 8"x8" baking dish
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 7 tablespoon coconut oil at room temp (not melted)
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips for melting
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips for folding into batter
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 ¼ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 oz freeze-dried strawberries
- pink icing gel very small amount if you'd like frosting to be more vibrant
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt coconut oil and ½ cup of chocolate chips together. Stir every 20 seconds to keep from burning. Once that is melted together, whisk in brown sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk in your eggs and try to do this for 2 minutes straight (I put a timer on my phone for this). Lastly, whisk in the cocoa powder. Photo shown is what the coconut oil should look like before you melt it with the chocolate.
- Pour batter into baking dish. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Toothpick inserted in the middle will not be clean and that's ok! You don't want your brownies to be too dry or cake-like.
- After removing from the oven, let brownies cool to room temperature for at least 30 minutes before adding frosting. Once cool, add frosting. After adding frosting, you can remove them from the baking dish and cut into desired amount of squares.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Run strawberries through a food processor for a few seconds to get smaller pieces. In stand mixer, combine cream cheese anf sugar until smooth. Add in vanilla extract, freeze-dried strawberries and icing gel if desired. Combine well. Frost brownies. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.