Saying this dairy free pound cake is delicious and full of flavor would be an understatement.Jump to Recipe
It's hard to believe that this was my first time trying blood oranges. I was at Trader Joe's this past weekend and saw a display of them for sale and knew that I had to get them! I've been getting a ton of inspiration from fellow food bloggers, lately. Seeing their beautiful creations with this richly-colored citrus inspired me to make my own. This was my sign to buy them and make this dairy free pound cake with cardamom, blood orange zest and accompanying pink-hued glaze!
I know I've mentioned this before but I absolutely love cardamom! The aroma and flavor is just incredible and pairs really well with the citrusy notes of this crimson fruit. This recipe is definitely giving me spring time vibes with all the fresh zest.
How to make dairy free pound cake
Short answer is swapping out the butter for an oil such as vegetable oil. This makes for a great alternative. You can also use olive oil, coconut oil or any other cooking oil of choice. Just keep in mind that your bread will take on that flavor. I also added ¼ cup of plain, non-dairy yogurt to kick up the moisture level.
How to store and keep your pound cake as fresh as possible
To keep cake fresh and retain moisture, store at room temperature and keep wrapped in plastic wrap. Do you have any other tips and tricks on how to help keep homemade bread and cake's moisture? I'd love to hear about it!
Looking for other delicious dairy free recipes to try out? Check out Delicious Gluten Free Persimmon Upside Down Cake
If you don't already have a loaf pan, I've linked one below which you can purchase through Amazon.
Dairy Free Pound Cake Made with Blood Orange & CardamomAuthor:
- 5"x9" loaf pan
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup plain dairy free yogurt
- zest of 1 blood orange
Blood Orange Glaze
- juice of 1 blood orange
- 1 ¼ cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom. Sift all ingredients if possible.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk eggs with oil, both sugars, vanilla extract, yogurt, and blood orange zest. Pour these wet ingredients into your bowl of dry ingredients and combine well with a spatula. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Let bread cool in pan for ten minutes before removing and placing onto a cooling rack. Now is when you'll want to make your blood orange glaze.
Blood Orange Glaze
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together confectioners sugar with juice from 1 blood orange. Feel free to add more sugar if you'd like a thicker glaze. Pour over loaf and enjoy!