These traditional French cakes are vegan and infused with rose water, truly giving you the best madeleine recipe!
I've always loved how soft and buttery madeleines are. I usually purchase them from a local organic market. When I went looking for them last week, they were completely sold out. With that hankering craving, I decided to attempt making my own version of the best madeleine recipe! The madeleines being sold out were like a blessing in disguise.
To keep things vegan, I used vegan butter and two servings of prepared egg replacer powder. The egg replacer can easily be found at the market near all the baking ingredients.
Note: You may not get that nice, classic bump that madeleines are known for having on one side. My guess is because we are using an egg substitute for this recipe.
When storing these, I recommend keeping them in an airtight container at room temperature. To keep them moist, I suggest adding a slice of bread to the container after about a day or two. This brings the madeleines back to their original moisture level.
I think you will appreciate the subtle rose flavor in these mini cakes. They are the perfect addition to your sweet Valentine's day festivities!
Looking for another tasty vegan treat? Check out Vegan-Friendly Magic Bars with a Pretzel Crust
The rose water that I used for this recipe is linked below!
The Best Madeleine RecipeAuthor:
- 1 madeleine pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 tbsp salted vegan butter if unsalted, add a pinch of salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon rose water
- 2 servings prepared egg replacer I used Bob's Red Mill egg replacer
White Chocolate Dip
- 4 oz vegan white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, not melted
- food grade rose petals
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brown your vegan butter on a stove top. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn't burn. Keep in mind that this butter will not brown as much as traditional dairy-based butter. Pour butter into a bowl and then lightly brush madeleine pan with the melted butter. Set pan aside.
- In your stand mixer, combine prepared egg replacer and sugar. Mix for 2-3 minutes then add in vanila extract, rose water and remaining browned butter.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift flour and baking powder. Whisk together. Pour these dry ingredients into mixing bowl and mix just until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough into madeleine pan. Try not to smash dough into the molds. They will spread out on their own when baking. Bake at 375°F for 14 minutes. Don't worry if they look undercooked. Once you remove them from the oven, let them cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before unmolding. They will continue to cook during that time.
White Chocolate Dip
- Place white chocolate and coconut oil in a small, microwave safe bowl. Melt for about 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Once madeleines have cooled to room temperature, dip them in the white chocolate and sprinkle with edible rose petals. Enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee!