What's better than vegan chocolate avocado muffins? Making them double chocolate and jumbo sized!Jump to Recipe
If you read my last blog post about the Delicious Gluten Free Persimmon Upside Down Cake you'll recall me talking about the patient who brought us two cases of persimmons and avocados. Naturally, I was already thinking of what I could possibly make with the avocados besides guacamole and my favorite (and probably every other Californian's favorite), avocado toast. I decided that I'd try my hand at making some muffins with them, jumbo ones at that. Vegan double chocolate avocado muffins. I told my husband that I was going to call them jumbo-cado muffins!
For this recipe, I used unsweetened applesauce for the egg replacer. You honestly, can't taste it. The avocado flavor, however, is very present and goes so well with the chocolate. I feel like the applesauce added density to this particular recipe. I liked that. It made the muffin feel like it was jam-packed with chocolate and who doesn't love the sound of that? The texture of the tops are very brownie-like which I was pleasantly surprised by. I have two more avocados that are about to be ripe. I have to decide what I'm going to make with those next.
Did you know...
That avocados act as a butter replacement when baking with them? For example, if a recipe calls for 1 cup of butter, you would swap it out for 1 cup of avocado. It's such a great way to add healthy fats into your baking!
Ingredients you'll need to make these chocolate muffins
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
Are you looking for other great muffin recipes? Try Vegan Pumpkin Muffins with a Maple Streusel Dairy-Free Blueberry Muffins: A Great Afternoon Snack or Deliciously Moist Raspberry & Lemon Ricotta Muffins
Link to jumbo muffin tin and pastry blender on Amazon.
Jumbo-cado Vegan Muffins
- 6-cup jumbo muffin pan
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. I recommend sifting all your dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, smash your ripe avocado with a fork or pastry blender. Mix in applesauce, vanilla extract and sugar. Add these wet ingredients to your bowl of dry ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop batter into your muffin pan. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes. Once muffins are cool enough to remove from the pan, place them on a cooling rack so that the moisture can evaporate from the bottoms.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a rating and review. I'd love to hear your feedback!
Looks so yummy.