These cookies are the ideal combination of taro milk tea and a classic shortbread cookie.
I can't believe that I lived a whole 22 years until I finally had my first taro milk tea! That's thanks to my husband for introducing me to the world of boba and milk tea. The first one I had was actually from a donut shop in Long Beach, Ca (we lived out there for a couple years). After my first one, I was hooked. I wanted to try all the flavors and there's a lot! Even after trying all the varieties, taro milk tea was and still is my favorite.
I used a taro powder mix to give these cookies their purple hue and unique flavor. This is what is typically used to make the teas at your local tea and boba shops. I was easily able to find this on Amazon. I've included a link below to the same one that I used. Note in the recipe that I did not add any sugar. The reason? The taro mix comes sweetened and didn't feel the need to add anymore. You also get a bit of added sweetness with the addition of white chocolate chips and a chocolate drizzle which is completely optional but I highly recommend!
Let me know in the comments if you give this recipe a try! Would you like to see any other tea themed cookies or desserts?
Looking for another delicious cookie recipe? Try White Chocolate Chunk & Cherry CookiesTaro Blended Crème Mix by Angel Specialty Products [3 LB]
White Chocolate Chip Taro Cookies
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup taro milk tea powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
White Chocolate Drizzle:
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, not melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In your stand mixer, combine softened butter and taro milk tea powder. Mix on high for about 3 minutes. I did not add any sugar to this recipe because the taro powder has sugar in it already. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk togtether flour, baking soda and salt. Pour these dry ingedients into your mixer bowl and combine. Add in chocolate chips.
- Scoop 6 balls of dough onto each cookie sheet and flatten them slightly. Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Feel free to top off with extra chocolate chips while the cookies are still warm.
White Chocolate Drizzle:
- In a microwave safe bowl, pour in ¼ cup of white chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Microwave in 20 second increments until you achieve desired cinsistency. Stir chocolate after every 20 seconds.
- Place a quart size ziploc bag into a tall glass. Pour in chocolate and snip a small corner with scissors. Drizzle design on cookies and enjoy!
Leave a Reply