There are times when all you want is a big salad or bowl full of fresh veggies. For me, that's always the case after returning from vacation or when indulging a bit more than usual. This time around, I wanted to make something with different textures and bright colored veggies so I decided to make this colorful quinoa veggie bowl.
I love how cilantro adds an extra layer of freshness to any dish! The Mexican in me also wanted to add some jalapeños for a little kick.
Instant quinoa may be the star of the show for this recipe. With being a new mom, I needed something nutritious, filling but something that can also come together quickly!
Below, are the ingredients you'll want to gather and prep ahead of time. Be sure to wash produce thoroughly before chopping. I chose these ingredients because I wanted to make a delicious Asian-inspired bowl. I also highly recommend adding nuts of some sort. They really give this dish that fun crunch factor!
- Sesame oil
- Purple cabbage
- Peanut dressing
- Nuts of choice
See recipe card for quantities.
Making your Quinoa Veggie Bowl
This recipe is pretty simple but I've gone ahead and included a few process shots along with step-by-step insructions.
1. Wash and prep your vegetables. Cut carrots and cucumbers into thin slices.
2. Add sesame oil and salt to bowl of cooked quinoa.
3. Add lime juice to bowl of quinoa. Combine well.
4. Your bowl should look something like this after layering all your vegetables and nuts on top.
Hint: prep your veggies a day ahead of time and store in the refrigerator in either a ziploc bag or an airtight container.
Below, are a few substitution options that have been tested with this particular recipe.
- Quinoa - instead of quinoa, you can use white or brown rice. Cold noodles would also be a delicious substitute!
- Veggies - this quinoa veggie bowl is super versatile so feel free to throw in any other veggies or substitute with ones that you need to use up.
Below, are a few variations to consider when making this recipe.
- Spicy - add fresh jalapeño slices or Thai chiles
- Healthy fats - add in half of an avocado
- Kid friendly - omit jalapeños if they cannot tolerate them
Store unused ingredients in the refrigerator.
To keep this recipe simple, I recommend using pre-cooked or instant quinoa and store bought peanut dressing.
Various types of vegetables, different proteins such as beef, chicken, tofu, or even a fried egg. It makes a great base for many dishes.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Be sure to wash all produce, thoroughly.
Quinoa Veggie BowlAuthor:
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- pinch of salt
- ½ lime
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 oz carrots
- 1 oz cucumbers
- 1 oz purple cabbage
- 1 oz nuts of choice
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 1 serving peanut dressing
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. I used an instant quinoa for this recipe. Add quinoa to serving bowl. Add in your sesame oil, salt and juice from half a lime. Combine well.
- Cut your carrots, cucumbers and jalapeños into thin slices. Chop cabbage, cilantro and nuts. Layer all these ingredients over your quinoa. Drizzle your favorite peanut dressing over the bowl and combine well with a fork and spoon. Enjoy!