Indulge in the fresh fruit flavor of our cherry vodka sour recipe. It is a nice alternative and delightful twist on the classic whiskey sour. This perfect summer cocktail combines the smoothness of vodka and sour cherries with the tangy goodness of a homemade sour mix, resulting in a refreshing and perfectly balanced libation.
I personally love adding bubbles to my cocktails so I added in a bit of tonic water. If you'd like a more traditional rendition of this drink, add an egg white to your cocktail shaker and omit the tonic water. Serve chilled.
This classic vodka sour is sure to become a favorite at your next gathering. Whether you're a seasoned mixologist or a beginner in the world of cocktails, our cherry vodka sour recipe is a must-try for those seeking impressive and easy cocktail recipes. So grab your shaker, gather the ingredients, and get ready to sip on the perfect blend of sweet, sour, and pure cherry bliss. Cheers!
The perfect time of the year to make this cherry vodka sour recipe is during the summer season when cherries are at their peak and the weather is warm and sunny. Summer offers an abundance of fresh, juicy cherries that are bursting with flavor, making them an ideal ingredient for this delightful cocktail. Enjoying this cool beverage on a hot summer day allows you to savor the fruity, refreshing flavors and embrace the seasonal vibes. Whether you're lounging by the pool, hosting a backyard barbecue, or simply looking to cool off with a delicious drink, summer provides the ideal backdrop for indulging in the vibrant and enticing taste of a cherry vodka recipe.
Our cherry vodka sour recipe calls for a tantalizing combination of real ingredients that create a harmonious balance of flavors.
First, we have a smooth vodka like Grey Goose, fresh cherries, a cherry syrup or simple syrup, which will lend a fruity take and slightly sweet note to the cocktail. To add that perfect sour effect, we incorporate a sour mix, which combines the brightness of fresh citrus juices, such as fresh lemon juice or lime juice, with a touch of sweetness. This kick of tartness and sweetness creates a refreshing and invigorating taste experience.
Garnish with a cherry, orange slice or citrus twist for an impressive presentation. With just a few simple ingredients, you can craft a cherry cocktail that captures the essence of a cherry vodka sour, delivering a delightful burst of flavor with every sip.
- Cherry syrup
- Tonic water
- White sugar
See recipe card for quantities.
Below, I've provided a few process shots along with step-by-step instructions.
Add the zest of 1 lime to a small plate of sugar. Wet rim of cocktail glass with lime juice. Dip rim into lime zest and sugar mixture.
Add pitted cherries, lime juice, and cherry syrup into a mixing glass.
Muddle the ingredients together.
Pour into a cocktail shaker with ice. Add vodka. Give it a good shake and pour contents over glass filled with ice. Fill the rest of the glass up with a bit of tonic water.
Hint: Use freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice for the sour mix. The bright, tangy flavor of freshly squeezed juice adds a vibrant and refreshing taste to the beverage. It enhances the overall balance of flavors with the cherry juice and ensures a zesty citrus punch in every sip. Avoid using bottled lemon juice as it may lack the same freshness and natural acidity.
Below, are a few substitutions you may consider when making this tangy cocktail.
- Lime - instead of using lime juice, you can use lemon to make a cherry lemonade type of cocktail.
- Real cherries - alternatively, you can use maraschino cherries. These will create a pretty pink hue of the cocktail.
- Cherry syrup - instead of using a cherry syrup, you can use a shot of cherry grenadine or regular grenadine syrup. Grenadine has a subtle pomegranate flavor.
Here are a few fun variation ideas to put a unique twist on your new favorite drink recipe:
- Spicy Cherry Vodka Sour: Add a kick to your drink by infusing some heat. Muddle a few slices of jalapeño or add a dash of hot sauce to your cocktail shaker for a spicy twist. The spicy element pairs surprisingly well with the sweetness of cherries.
- Berry Blast Sour: Amp up the fruity flavors by muddling a handful of fresh berries, such as strawberries or raspberries, in the shaker before mixing your crisp drink. This adds an extra layer of sweetness and vibrant berry notes to the drink.
- Cherry Vanilla Sour: Infuse your cherry sour with a touch of creamy sweetness. Add a splash of vanilla extract or a drizzle of vanilla syrup to your fruity cocktails for a smooth and indulgent twist. The combination of cherry and vanilla creates a dessert-like experience.
- Foamy Topping: Add an egg white to your cocktail shaker along with the other contents and give it a quick shake. Pour chilled in a glass or over ice (if you want it extra chilly) and omit the tonic water.
We recommend storing unused cherries in the refrigerator.
The key to making a well-executed cherry vodka sour lies in achieving the perfect balance of flavors. Here are a few essential tips to ensure your classic cocktail turns out delicious:
- Quality Ingredients: Opt for high-quality vodka to ensure a smooth finish in your cocktail. Use fresh, ripe cherries or high-quality cherry juice for an authentic taste.
- Sour Mix Proportions: Pay attention to the proportions of the sour mix ingredients, including lemon juice and sweetener (such as simple syrup or agave nectar). Experiment with different ratios to find the balance that suits your taste preferences, ensuring a harmonious blend of sweet and tangy.
- Freshly Squeezed Citrus: Use fresh lemons or limes for the sour mix. The bright, zesty flavor of fresh citrus juice adds the perfect sour balance that enhances the overall taste of the cocktail.
- Muddling Technique: If using fresh cherries, gently muddle them to release their juices and natural cherry flavor. This step helps infuse the cherry essence into the cocktail, intensifying the cherry notes.
- Garnish with Style: Enhance the visual appeal and aroma of your cherry vodka sour cocktail by garnishing it with a cherry on top or a citrus twist. This adds a touch of elegance and signals the delightful flavors to come.
By focusing on the quality of ingredients, achieving a balanced sour mix, and paying attention to presentation, you can create a well-rounded and satisfying libation that will impress your guests and elevate your cocktail experience. Cheers to enjoying a perfectly crafted vodka sour!
Absolutely! Which is exactly what we did here. While traditional whiskey sours often include raw egg white for a creamy finish and foamy topping, you can make a delicious vodka sour without using egg white. There are many recipes available that rely on other ingredients or techniques to achieve a similar white foam and texture. Experiment with an alternative option such as aquafaba (chickpea brine) or omitting the egg white altogether to suit your dietary preferences or restrictions.
Looking for other great recipes like this? Try these:
These are some of my favorite drink recipes:
If you decide you want the frothy topping and use egg whites when making these vodka cocktails for guests, be sure that no one has an egg allergy.
Cherry Vodka SourAuthor:
- 4 cherries
- 1 lime
- 2 oz cherry syrup
- 3 oz vodka
- 4 oz tonic water
Lime Zest & Sugar Rim
- 1 lime
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Add sugar and lime zest to a small plate. This is the same lime that you will be using to make your cocktail. Cut lime in half and wet rim of cocktail glass with lime juice. Dip rim into lime zest and sugar mixture. Set aside.
- In a mixing glass, add lime juice from one whole lime, cherry syrup, and 4 pitted cherries. Muddle ingredients together. Add ice to your cocktail shaker and pour in contents of the mixing glass. Pour in vodka and give the shaker a good shake.
- Add ice to your cocktail glasses and add an even of amount of your cocktail mix to each glass. Top off each glass with tonic water. Garnish with a cherry or citrus twist.