When you crave something sweet and simple, nothing can beat a 3 ingredient peanut butter cups recipe! With just 3 ingredients, this copycat Reese’s peanut butter cups recipe is a game-changer for all sweet treat lovers.
Related: healthy peanut butter cups
Whether you're looking for a cozy winter treat or a cool summer delight these peanut butter cups are perfect for any season and occasion.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
You'll love this no bake dessert for its simplicity and rich, satisfying flavor. It's a classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate creating a smooth and irresistible texture. This 3 ingredient peanut butter cups recipe takes no more than 20 minutes from start to finish and is a great choice for a quick fix, or fun treat idea for kids!
Ingredients You'll Need
Below, are the few ingredients needed to make your own peanut butter cups at home!
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Peanut butter is the hero of this quick dessert! It offers a sweet, nutty flavor with a rich, creamy, butter-like texture. If you prefer a slightly crunchier texture from peanut chunks, consider using crunchy peanut butter.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate: Semi-sweet chocolate offers depth and the right balance of flavors without overpowering the sweetness.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil ensures the chocolate melts to perfection. It gives shine to the chocolate and ensures it hardens giving you that crunch in every bite.
See recipe card for quantities.
Step By Step Instructions
Begin by preparing a 12-cup muffin tin by lining it with silicone liners. Ok to use paper muffin liners.
1. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Place it in the microwave and melt the chocolate in 15-20 second intervals, stirring after each interval. You can melt chocolate in a double boiler as well. If using the latter, keep stovetop setting on low heat when melting the chocolate.
2. Once the chocolate is melted, pour a tablespoon of the melted chocolate mixture into the bottom of each liner.
3. Place the pan in the Freezer for 5-10 minutes or until the chocolate is set. This is the fist layer of your chocolate shell.
4. Spread a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter mixture onto the solidified chocolate in each cup.
5. Cover the peanut butter layer with another tablespoon of melted chocolate.
6. Freeze for another 5-10 minutes or until the chocolate is set.
Hint: optional to sprinkle each cup with flaky sea salt once they're set. A little bit of flaky salt balances out the sweetness and enhances the flavor of the peanut butter cups!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Serve these pb cups any time of the day. They are a perfect snack and a great kid's lunch box treat.
- Add a layer of crushed biscuits, nuts, or pretzels at the bottom for a crunchy surprise.
- Sprinkle desiccated coconut on top of the chocolate before freezing it for extra flavor. You can also sprinkle crushed nuts.
- If you don’t have silicone liners, you can use cupcake liners as well.
- Use room temperature peanut butter. This will make it much easier to spread on top of the chocolate layer.
Crafting your own homemade peanut butter cups with just three simple ingredients is not only a breeze but also a great way to savor the best part of the beloved Reese’s cup!
These DIY treats allow you to enjoy the nostalgic goodness of one of your favorite candies with the added satisfaction of having created them yourself—truly the best of both worlds.
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups - You can use dark chocolate bars or chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips for an extra chocolate kick.
- Add Some Fruit - Place a small piece of banana, strawberry, or nuts on top of the peanut butter before covering it with chocolate.
- Warm Spices - Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon or chili powder into the chocolate mixture for a warm spice flavor.
- A Touch of Sweetness - Craving a little more sweetness? Consider mixing a bit of maple syrup or powdered sugar to your peanut butter filling. You can also add a tough of sweetness by using milk chocolate for this 3 ingredient peanut butter cups recipe.
- Keto Peanut Butter Cups - To make this recipe low carb and keto-friendly, consider using a good chocolate that's sugar free. Also use a natural peanut butter that's free from any added sugars.
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cups - To convert this to a vegan 3-ingredient peanut butter cups recipe, consider using dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Mini Muffin Cups - Use a mini muffin pan to make mini pb cups.
- Peanut Butter - Almond butter can be a great substitute for peanut butter.
- Coconut Oil - In the absence of coconut oil, use mild-flavored oils like canola or vegetable oil to maintain the texture.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate - You can also use white chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate.
Try this 3 ingredient peanut butter cups recipe and let us know your thoughts!
- Muffin/cupcake pan
- Paper liners (we used silicone ones)
Store peanut butter cups in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cups RecipeAuthor:
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 tsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Begin by preparing a 12-cup muffin tin by lining it with silicone or paper cupcake liners. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Place it in the microwave and melt the chocolate in 15-20 second intervals, stirring after each interval.
- Once the chocolate is melted, pour a tablespoon of the melted chocolate mixture into the bottom of each liner. Place the pan in the Freezer for 5-10 minutes or until the chocolate is set.
- Spread a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter onto the solidified chocolate in each cup. Cover the peanut butter layer with another tablespoon of melted chocolate. Pop back into the freezer for another 5-10 minutes or until the chocolate is set.
- Remove the peanut butter cups from the molds. Enjoy! Optional: add a sprinkle of flaky salt once they're set.
Looking for other delicious recipes like this? Try these:
These are our latest guides and recipes to hit the blog: