This delicious hot chocolate cake with a toasted vegan fluff topping is sure to be a favorite at this year’s Christmas parties!
Christmas is now 25 short days away! I’m still trying to figure out where the time has gone. Now is the time for you to decide which dessert you’ll be bringing to this year’s company Christmas party or dessert for an after Christmas dinner treat. This vegan hot chocolate cake is perfect for those occasions!
The peppermint extract that I added to the fluff makes me think of hot peppermint mochas from Starbucks (which is my go-to drink of the season). This recipe is the first time that I have used aquafaba in my baking. I am amazed at how well it works as an egg replacement or egg white replacement in this case. It whipped up so nicely that it has inspired me to see what else I can create with it! I’m seeing meringue desserts in my near future. The vegan fluff calls for using superfine sugar. I’ve left instructions in the notes section on how to make it if you don’t have any readily available.
Leave a comment below if you make this recipe for the holidays!
Looking for another dessert that can be enjoyed this holiday season? Try Need an Easy Gingerbread Recipe that’s Perfect for the Holidays?
Vegan Hot Chocolate Cake with Fluff Topping
- Butane torch
- 9"x9" baking dish
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet potato purée
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 serving hot chocolate mix in 1 cup of hot water
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup aquafaba
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9"x9" square baking dish . Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together oil, vanilla, prepared hot chocolate, sweet potato purée, and sugar. Add these wet ingredients to your bowl of dry ingredients. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into baking dish. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes. Leave cake in baking dish for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Let cake cool for a few more minutes. Prepare your fluff during this time.
- Pour aquafaba into bowl of your stand mixer. Attach whisk tool and whisk on high until aquafaba becomes white and fluffy. Add in sugar in small increments. Mix in cream of tartar. Lastly, mix in vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Spread fluff all over your cake. You can pack on as much or as little as you'd like! Toast fluff with butane torch to get your desired toasty marshmallow effect.