If you’re like me and want to enjoy holiday themed desserts that consist of more than just pies, this vegan gingerbread loaf recipe is for you.Jump to Recipe
Thanksgiving week is my cue to start working on all my Christmas baking. I probably should have started on that sooner but here we are. This sweet potato vegan gingerbread loaf rendition of this classic recipe is the first of many.
Ok, so I will admit that this was my first time using sweet potato as an egg replacer and wow! I was not disappointed with the outcome! It has actually motivated me to explore using it as a staple ingredient in my vegan baking (which I am still learning along the way).
This loaf is dense, moist and almost a little spicy from the ground ginger. When my husband tried it, he said it gave him an “old world” feel. When he said that, my mind immediately went to life on the frontier. Think “Little House on the Prairie” vibes. I think it comes from the combination of the molasses and blend of warm spices. I wish you could have smelled the aroma coming from my kitchen while this was baking!
Things to keep in mind
This batter is a bit different. It will be a thicker batter, almost resembling a dough-like consistency. After pouring it into your loaf pan, pat it down with a spatula.
The baking time for this recipe is based on the decorative loaf pan that I used by Nordic Ware. Keep in mind that you may need to adjust the baking time slightly if using a regular 5″x9″ loaf pan. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean-ish since it will continue to bake for a few minutes once removed from the oven.
There is definitely a sweet potato taste that is present when enjoying a slice of this cozy bread. Note that it’s not an overpowering flavor. I also sprinkled a bit of powdered sugar on top to make it look more festive, but that’s completely optional.
Let me know in the comments if you make this gingerbread to enjoy with your friends and family over the holidays. Need another vegan-friendly dessert recipe? Try Love Bread Pudding? Try This Vegan Apple & Bourbon Version Also be sure to check out my Gingerbread Snack Cake recipe for another sweet potato treat!
Easy Vegan Gingerbread Loaf
- 5"x9" loaf pan
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup sweet potato purée
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and allspice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sweet potato purée, oil, vanilla, molasses, and sugar. Add these wet ingredients to your bowl of dry ingredients and combine well.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Batter will be a bit sticky which is fine. Pat batter down with a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350°F. I took mine out at 33 minutes. Remove from oven when toothpick comes out clean or mostly clean. I opted to sprinkle bread with powdered sugar once it had cooled down a bit.