This healthier oat flour based pizookie can easily become a breakfast staple!
This oat flour pizookie recipe is not only vegan but reduced in sugar as well! This would be ideal to serve with breakfast or even after dinner with a big scoop of dairy-free “nice cream” as shown in the image above. You can also keep this recipe gluten-free by using oats that are labeled as gluten-free to make the flour.
I don’t know about you but I love ordering pizookies whenever I go to a BJ’s restaurant. With that being said, I knew it was time for me to attempt making my own. Since it’s still early in the new year, I’ve realized that readers are looking for more healthy dessert options, myself included. Thats’s when the oat flour version of this treat came to mind.
I know you may be asking, what’s a pizookie? Based on the BJ’s restaurant website, it is a cookie that has been baked in a personal-sized pizza pan. Keep in mind, this oat flour one is more muffin-like consistency than cookie.
Making your own oat flour at home is quite simple. All you need to do is add some dried oats into a coffee grinder and pulse until you get a smooth texture.
I’ve included instructions on how to make an accompanying lemon glaze which is optional (but I highly recommend making).
Side note when it comes to serving a slice. The texture of this flour is much more crumbly than all-purpose flour so you may have some difficulty with the slices keeping their shape. There’s no need to worry about that if you opt to just eat it straight from the pan!
Looking for other healthier breakfast options? Check out Dairy-Free Blueberry Muffins: A Great Afternoon SnackPie Dish, by Kook, Round Pie Pan/Plate, Deep Dish, Ruffled Wave Edge, for Kitchen Cooking/Baking Dessert Dinner, 10-Inch Ceramic make, 42oz (Cherry)
Blueberry Oat Flour Pizookie
- 10 inch round cake pan or pie dish
- 2 cups oat flour
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen will work
- lemon zest as much or as little as you like
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray cake pan or pie dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine applesauce, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and sugar. Pour these wet ingredients into your bowl of dry ingredients and combine well. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared dish. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Pizookie will have started to turn into a nice, golden color. Serve with "nice cream" to keep this as a vegan treat option.
- While pizookie is cooling, make your lemon glaze. Do this by whisking together lemon juice and confectioners sugar. Pour desired amount over pizookie.